Sponge – aka the base of the cake
for a 22 cm diameter round cake pan
- 6 eggs
- 180g sugar
- 4 tablespoon water
- 200g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- butter for the pan
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Put a baking paper ont he bottom of the pan and spread butter on the side.
- Beat eggwhites with the 3rd of the sugar until almost stiff.
- Beat egg yolks until with the rest of the sugar until light. Slowly add water while beating.
- Gently fold in the eggwhites to the egg yolks.
- In another bowl mix flour with baking powder and salt.
- Gently fold the flour to the eggs. Don’t mix it too long, but keep going until no dry lumps or flour remain.
- Transfer dough into the pan and bake it until the sponge is risen, golden and feel springy to the touch (about 40-50 minutes). Don’t open the oven during baking.
- When it’s ready, put the cake upside down on a baking paper and remove the pan. Cover it with a teatowel and let it cool.